Have you ever each wished to shortly make 9-patch quilt blocks? The key is pre-cut strips! When you grasp this system, you’ll be capable to make quite a lot of quilts.
What’s to not love a few nine-patch quilt block. It’s past easy ~ 9 squares of the same-sized materials. You may scale it up or down with out a lot problem and give you an array of potentialities. It’s a fundamental quilt block that can be utilized to make quite a lot of completely different quilts, and it’s newbie pleasant.
Supplies & Provides
Word: This tutorial makes use of 2.5″ strips. If utilizing pre-cut strips, I extremely advocate you buy them from the identical material producer for uniform strip width.
How one can Strip Piece a 9-Patch Quilt Block
If that is your first time utilizing the strip piecing technique, I like to recommend you assessment two of my weblog posts as a result of accuracy issues when piecing strips.
1. When stitching strips collectively, I like to recommend utilizing a Strolling Foot. The strips have just a little stretch and a Strolling Foot can forestall the strip set from bowing.
2. One other method to keep away from your strip units bowing is to reverse your stitching path when connecting every strip. For the primary two strips sew them collectively prime to backside. Flip the third strip and stitch it backside to prime.
Step 1: Slicing Strips
On this tutorial we’re utilizing 2.5″ strips that may make a 6″ completed block. What if you would like a 9″ or 12″ block? I’ve included a helpful chart under exhibiting how huge to chop your strips with a purpose to make completely different sized blocks.
Step 2: Sew the Strip Units
You may be making two varieties of strips units. One set will likely be a trio of Darkish + Gentle + Darkish materials and the opposite set will likely be a trio of Gentle + Darkish + Gentle materials.
Stitching Strip Set 1: Darkish + Gentle + Darkish:
Word: Should you’re utilizing pre-cut strips, line up your strips with the “sawtooth” pinked edge. It’s additionally a good suggestion to measure your strips to verify they’re 2.5″ huge from edge to edge.
- Set your sew size to 1.5mm. That is essential as a result of if you sub-cut your strip units you’ll be chopping throughout this seam.
- Designate the highest of your strips.
- With proper sides collectively, from the highest sew a darkish and lightweight strip collectively utilizing a scant 1/4″ seam allowance.
- With proper sides collectively, from the underside sew a darkish strip to the sunshine strip utilizing a scant 1/4″ seam allowance.
- Press seams in direction of the darker material.
Urgent issues when strip piecing. It’s essential to set the seams on the again facet of the material then flip over and, from the entrance, press your seams so that they face the darker material. It will flatten your seams and make them nest collectively if you begin assembling blocks.
Stitching Strip Set 2: Gentle + Darkish + Gentle:
- Make one other strip set following the above steps utilizing the material order Gentle + Darkish + Gentle.
- Press seams towards the darker material. That is other way of your different strip set however will let you nest your seams when making the nine-patch blocks.
- Put aside.
Step 3: Sub-cut the Strip Units:
The sub-cut items needs to be the identical width as the unique strips. Within the instance under, the person material strips are 2.5” huge so they are going to be sub-cut into 2.5” huge items.
It’s time to sub-cut the strip units. Earlier than sub-cutting, it’s a good suggestion to verify the entire related strips are the identical dimension. Do that by laying an acrylic ruler alongside a seam and verifying the strips are all the identical dimension. Modify if essential.
Word: Earlier than you make your first sub-cut remember to even up your edge.
- From the Darkish + Gentle + Darkish trio, line up your ruler with a clean-cut edge and sub-cut (2) items 2.5″ (huge) x 6.5″ (excessive).
- Put aside.
- From the Gentle + Darkish + Gentle trio sub-cut (1) particular person items (2.5″ x 6.5″)
- Put aside.
Step 4: Making the 9-Patch Blocks
Should you’ve pressed your seams accurately all through the method, they are going to all nest completely! If you place your two strip set pairs collectively, make certain that the seams are opposing. Which means that one seam allowance factors left and the opposite factors proper. Doing this retains your seams aligned.
- Make a nine-patch block by assembling three alternating sub-cut items collectively.
- Alternate Darkish + Gentle + Darkish sub-cut items with a Gentle + Darkish + Gentle sub-cut unit within the center.
- With proper sides collectively, nest seams and Marvel Clip or pin sub-sets collectively.
- Utilizing a 1.5mm sew and a scant 1/4″ seam allowance, sew alternating sub-sets collectively to kind a nine-patch block.
- Press block seams in a single path.
Discover how properly the seams go collectively when nested and pressed accurately.
And one of the best half is how the entire factors match. That’s the fantastic thing about strip piecing – your entire blocks come out completely.
Need to flip this system right into a quilt? I’ve the proper mission!
It’s known as the Scrappy Irish Chain Quilt. It makes use of the nine-patch strip piecing approach from this tutorial to make a whole quilt. Better of all, it’s quick and simple! Click on the pink button under the picture to study extra about this straightforward sample.