That is an additional quick weeknight model of a standard Shepherd’s Pie recipe.
Shepherd’s Pie is a full meal with a base of saucy floor lamb and greens (though many individuals use beef). It’s all topped with mashed potato crust and baked till bubbly.
Simple and engaging, all yr spherical!
A Fast Shortcut Favourite
- Shepherd’s Pie is a comforting and hearty dish that’s good for an straightforward dinner.
- Utilizing frozen blended greens (and ready mashed potatoes) cuts down on prep time, making this recipe even sooner.
- The shortcut sauce choices within the recipe under make it straightforward to customise the dish to your pantry.
- Use leftover meat, veggies, gravy, or mashed potatoes, its a good way to make use of up elements you have already got readily available or leftovers.
- This dish freezes and reheats nicely.
Components for Shepherd’s Pie
Shepherd’s Pie will be ready recent, nevertheless it’s additionally a good way to make use of up any leftover meat, veggies, gravy, or mashed potatoes.
Floor Meat –You should use any floor meat on this recipe. Though lamb is conventional, I most frequently use floor beef. Leftover roast meat additionally works nicely.
Greens – Frozen blended greens make preparation fast and straightforward, however you should utilize leftover roasted veggies too. If utilizing recent greens, steam them till tender or cook dinner them with the meat earlier than including them to the dish.
Sauce – Shepherd’s Pie is flexible, and I’ve offered a few shortcut sauces within the recipe under. Nonetheless, you should utilize leftover gravy (or gravy combine) and tomato sauce, or any sauce you want.
Mashed Potatoes – Conventional mashed potatoes are what I most frequently use, however garlic mashed potatoes add nice taste to this dish! Should you’re in a rush, you should utilize store-bought mashed potatoes.
Learn how to Make Shepherd’s Pie
- Make Mashed Potatoes: In case you have leftover mashed potatoes, use these. If not, make home made mashed potatoes. Tater tots make a terrific topping too!
- Brown Meat: Brown lamb (or one other sort of floor meat like beef) in a skillet with onion. If utilizing recent veggies, they are often diced and cooked together with the meat and onion.
- Add Sauce: Stir within the seasonings and sauce per the recipe under (for those who’d like a from-scratch shepherd’s pie, that is the recipe we use!). Stir within the veggies.
- Layer and Bake: Pile the potatoes on high. A sprinkle of cheese will not be conventional, however it’s scrumptious!
Prep Forward and Suggestions for Shepherd’s Pie
You’ll love how straightforward this dish is. It may be made a day prematurely, which makes dinner prep simpler.
- Layering: After prepping the meat combination, cool it and chill it within the fridge for 20 minutes to maintain the mashed potato layer separated.
- Prep Forward: Assemble the Shepherd’s Pie as much as at some point prematurely and refrigerate it. Let it come to room temperature for Half-hour earlier than baking.
- Fast Clear Up: In case your baking dish may be very full, place it on a parchment-lined baking sheet to keep away from any juices spilling into the underside of the oven.
Learn how to Freeze Shepherd’s Pie
- Put together as directed and funky utterly. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap after which in foil. Freeze.
- Thaw in a single day within the fridge. Bake for 45 minutes lined and quarter-hour uncovered
Shepherd’s pie is a scrumptious combo of floor lamb (though many individuals use beef) that has been cooked with greens in a gravy or sauce. The lamb combination is then topped with a crust of creamy mashed potatoes.
This casserole is historically made with floor lamb. Many individuals make this recipe with floor beef nonetheless, for those who use floor beef it’s truly known as Cottage Pie! (You can even change the meat for a vegetarian lentil model).
Both method, this crustless meat pie is topped with mashed potatoes and baked till bubbly.
Historically, a shepherd’s pie will not be topped with cheese. That being mentioned, cheese is my love language, so I like so as to add just a little bit on high. Should you’d favor, brush the potatoes with just a little little bit of butter and skip the cheese.
Bake the shepherd’s pie recipe under for 25-Half-hour. Should you’ve made it forward of time and it’s chilly from being within the fridge, bake it a bit longer, about 30-35 minutes.
Completely!! Make mashed candy potatoes utilizing this recipe and pile them excessive!
Did you make this Simple Shepherd’s Pie recipe? Depart us a remark and a ranking under!
Simple Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
Shepherd’s Pie is a standard Irish dish made with floor lamb, peas, and carrots, topped with mashed potatoes & cheddar cheese.
Preheat oven to 400°F.
In a big skillet or Dutch oven, cook dinner lamb (or beef), onion, and garlic over medium warmth till no pink stays. Drain any fats.
Stir in blended greens, soup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, basil, and pepper.
Unfold into the underside of a 3 quart or 9×13 inch casserole dish.
Spoon mashed potatoes over high and sprinkle with cheese if utilizing.
Baked for 25-Half-hour or till bubbly.
This can be a shortcut recipe, view our from scratch shepherd’s pie recipe right here.
Substitute the tomato soup on this recipe for one of many following:
- 10.5 oz of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 packet of gravy combine ready as directed and simmered till thickened
- leftover home made beef gravy.
Energy: 648 | Carbohydrates: 85g | Protein: 22g | Fats: 24g | Saturated Fats: 11g | Ldl cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 730mg | Potassium: 916mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 47g | Vitamin A: 2775IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 180mg | Iron: 2.5mg
Vitamin info offered is an estimate and can range based mostly on cooking strategies and types of elements used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content material and pictures are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is each inspired and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photograph use coverage right here.
Why is it known as Shepherd’s Pie?
Initially a meat pie made with minced (or floor) meat and mashed potatoes was referred to as a Cottage Pie (and it was even typically made with pastry a few years in the past). It is extremely well-liked in Eire, Scotland, and England as nicely! Within the late 1800s, the pie was named Shepherd’s Pie if made with lamb (because the shepherd sorted the sheep) and if made with beef it was known as Cottage Pie.
Whatever the identify, this recipe is a traditional Shepherd’s Pie recipe loaded with taste and the right make-ahead meal to serve all yr lengthy!