streda, 29 novembra, 2023
HomeDIYWalmart Dresser Makeover - From Strong Black To Black And Walnut

Walmart Dresser Makeover – From Strong Black To Black And Walnut

A number of weeks in the past, I bought this comparatively cheap dresser from Walmart to go within the closet space in our house fitness center. After assembling it and placing it into place within the room, I wasn’t thrilled with the way it appeared. The black was high quality for the room, but it surely was so pitch black that it simply appeared like a black gap within the room. Plus, it appeared a lot shorter than I had anticipated.

So I made a decision to offer it a little bit makeover utilizing issues that I had available, not together with the brand new drawer pulls. I had one piece of walnut 1″ x 2″ lumber and a slightly massive piece of walnut veneer left over from the lavatory transform, and I assumed including some walnut to this dresser wouldn’t solely make it present up higher and provides me the chance to boost the peak, however it might go completely with my entire “black and walnut” plan for the accents within the room.

As soon as I acquired all the walnut accents on the dresser, that is the way it turned out…

For a “use what you’ve got available” makeover, I used to be fairly happy with how that turned out! And it was fairly fast and simple, too.

I began by eradicating the drawer fronts from the drawers. Due to how this dresser is assembled, this was very straightforward to do with out damaging something.

Then utilizing a 4-inch curler with a 1/4-inch nap curler cowl, I put two coats of Weldwood Contact Cement on the drawer fronts, permitting the primary coat to dry utterly earlier than rolling on the second coat.

I additionally rolled on two coats of contact cement to the again of the piece of walnut veneer. As soon as the second coat of contact cement was utterly dry on all the drawers and the again of the veneer, I positioned the drawer fronts face down onto the again of the veneer. I positioned them in the identical association that they’re positioned into the dresser, leaving about 1/4-inch between them, in order that the wooden grain can be steady from one drawer to the subsequent.

As soon as they have been all in place, I minimize them aside with a utility knife with a model new blade on it (crucial when working with veneer!), after which rigorously trimmed the veneer proper to the sides of every drawer entrance. Then I rigorously sanded the sides with 120-grit sandpaper.

Subsequent, I set to work on the legs. I used pine 2″ x 2″ lumber, and minimize them to the size I needed for the legs. After which I wrapped every bit with walnut veneer. You possibly can see the distinction right here…

To wrap every bit, I began by rolling two coats of contact cement to all 4 sides of every leg, in addition to to the again of the walnut veneer. As soon as it was utterly dry, I positioned the leg onto the veneer at one finish and pressed firmly to verify it was caught rather well.

Then I used my utility knife with the very sharp blade and minimize off the little extra strip…

After which I simply began rolling the leg onto the veneer, placing an entire lot of stress on it as I went in order that the veneer would fold completely across the edges.

I continued that till I had all 4 sides coated…

…after which I minimize off the surplus with my utility knife.

I trimmed off the surplus on the highest and the underside of every leg utilizing my miter noticed…

After which I sanded every leg utilizing 120-grit sandpaper. I sanded all the edges very rigorously to wash up any slight splintering of the veneer that will have occurred as I rolled the veneer round these edges.

Subsequent, utilizing 1″ x 2″ walnut lumber, I minimize and connected a body across the backside fringe of the dresser. What you see beneath is me attaching the complete width of the 1″ x 2″ items. As soon as that was connected, I made a decision that it was too extensive, so I took them off and used my desk noticed to tear them right down to a couple of 1-inch width. That appeared significantly better, however I forgot to take an image of it. However the means of attaching it to the underside of the dresser was the identical as you see right here.

After which I connected the six legs. I simply connected them utilizing 1.5-inch 16-gauge nails shot via the skin, via the black items, and into the legs. After which I simply used a black Sharpie to cover the nail holes that confirmed on the black items.

And that is the way it turned out as soon as I used Rubio Monocoat Oil Plus 2C on all the walnut, and added new drawer pulls.

I actually like the way it turned out. I’m very glad it’s taller now (and sure, I acknowledge the irony that I purchased this dresser as a result of it sat immediately on the ground and I wouldn’t should vacuum below it, and now it doesn’t, and I’ll. 😀 )

However I additionally like that it’s extra substantial, extra seen, and never only a black gap within the room. What I don’t like is the way it appears to be like in opposition to the wall colour within the closet. I’ve been combating liking that wall for some time now, so I’ve a sense {that a} change is coming. However extra on that later.

And as you’ll be able to see, I didn’t meet my aim of ending our house fitness center by the top of the month. However that’s okay! It’s very shut, and I’ll simply hold chipping away at that closing punch listing till it’s all finished. I’ve gadgets that I’ve ordered for the room that received’t get right here till this weekend or early subsequent week, anyway. So as soon as I made a decision to order these issues, I knew it wouldn’t get completed by my aim date. Oh, properly! That’s how tasks go, however we simply hold urgent on.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments